Applications due October 15, 2021.
We are a growing actuarial consulting firm looking for new team members with demonstrated commitment to our core values, interest in breaking into the actuarial profession, and desire to be a part of growing something from the ground up!
The Company: Athena Actuarial Consulting is a woman-owned consulting firm providing actuarial services to State, Local and Federal governmental entities. The firm was founded in August 2020 with the intention to scale quickly and intentionally from a one-person shop to a small employer focused on growing a diverse workforce. Athena’s emphasis on empowering women and other underrepresented groups will be paired with strong technical expertise in the areas of retirement actuarial services, health actuarial services, data analytics, and data-driven decision-making. Aside from feeling confident that consulting fees are being allocated to the employees in an equitable manner and back to the community via Athena’s various community initiatives, our clients benefit from the Principal’s “big firm” experience, but without the “big firm” price tag. Athena currently operates as a Minnesota-based remote firm, with employees currently residing in Minneapolis, MN and Washington, DC.
The Position: We are looking for a summer intern for 2022. The internship will be 10 weeks long with start and end dates flexible to the candidates other commitments. Interns will have the opportunity to work on different types of actuarial projects, ranging across tracks, including life, P&C, pension, and health. In addition, our intern will support various business development initiatives and have the opportunity to interact with clients, support client pursuits and participate in all the many components of starting a new business. This is a paid, full-time (~40 hours/week) position. Hours for the position will be flexible based on study time for actuarial exams and accommodation of candidate’s time zone.
Location: This position is remote. US and non-US based applications are encouraged to apply. Depending on the state of travel due to the pandemic, 1-2 opportunities to travel for team-building and in-person work weeks may be requested but not necessarily required.
- Ideal candidates have 0-1 years of experience and may be undergraduate, graduate or career changers
- Demonstrated commitment to Athena’s mission, vision and values
- Sincere interest in the actuarial profession through membership to actuarial organization(s), passed exams, or exam attempts
- Ability to work independently in remote environment
- Experience in MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and MS Word; other programming languages and software experience helpful but not required
- Data preparation, reconciliation and review for reasonableness with the guidance of an experienced actuary
- Basic programming and design of actuarial software and models
- Project management of dedicated workstreams, providing periodic updates to Athena leadership
- Participation in Athena strategy meetings, provide feedback on Athena community initiatives, support of Athena client pursuits
- Opportunity for unique, entrepreneurial experience in fun, growing collaborative team environment.
- Flexible work schedule with encouraged well-being breaks and accommodation of study schedule.
- Direct exposure to Athena leadership, clients and partner organizations.
How to Apply: Send email to email@example.com with subject line “Application for 2022 Summer Intern”. Please attach resume and a cover letter which outlines why you think that you’re the right fit for Athena’s summer internship, and conversely, why Athena is the right fit for you.
Applications due October 15, 2021.